Saturday, January 24, 2015

R.I.P Mr. Cub: A true baseball hero

As a Cubs fan, I have thought of what it would be like to go my whole without seeing the Cubs win it all. It is a sad thought, but it isn't unrealistic . In the end though, whether the Cubs win or lose, they don't owe me anything. I am a fan who gets mad at the smallest thing like a strike out in the fifth inning of a game in May.

If there was anyone the Cubs owed anything to, whether a World Series win or all the respect in the world, it was Ernie Banks. The man who played the most games ever without playing in the post season, the man who was a walking legend around Chicago, the man who was shown constantly with a smile on a face. He was basically the definition of a Baseball hero, whether for his effort, dedication, or positive attitude even when the cards seemed to be stacked against him. 

I don't have a great story about meeting Ernie. I, like many Cubs fans around my age, grew up on stories about Ernie playing at Wrigley and how he made even the worst Cubs teams watchable. After reading many stories on twitter, reddit, etc. , it is a shame I could never meet a man that is credited for his attitude  just as much as his stats. 

There is no doubt 2015 will be dedicated to #14 and the Cubs first Double Header at Wrigley will be unofficial Ernie Banks day. 

R.I.P Mr. Cub.

No comments:

Post a Comment