Monday, October 13, 2014

Packers Week 6 Final Thoughts

            Watching the Packer’s game Sunday against the Dolphins only reinforced my original feelings I had towards Green Bay; Rodgers is a stud and I don’t understand Mike McCarthy.
            The drive Rodgers ended the game with reminded me of the drive in Atlanta the year they won the super bowl. I’m not saying they’re super bowl bound this year, but that drive was big time. I know it was against an average Miami team but they showed up to play, and so did Rodgers.
I am not a perfectionist, but when analyzing the Packer’s performance I always tend to look at the negatives and wonder, what the fuck is going on? Among the many what the fuck is going on moments in this game, this tops the list for me.

McCarthy decides to kick a field goal on 4th and 6 from the Miami 12, down 7 points with four minutes left. Why the didn’t we go for it? Let’s assume we didn’t get the touchdown. Miami still has a 7 point lead with the ball on their own 12 with plenty of time for a stop and possibly give Rodgers a chance to tie it with a touchdown.
In the post game conference McCarthy stated he had faith in the defense to make a stop. At this point, our two top corner backs left the game with an injury which means McCarthy’s statement translates into having faith in Jarrett Bush to cover a Dolphin receiver. Are you fucking kidding me?
I won’t get into Jarrett Bush, but if faith in the defense was the current mindset why didn’t we just go for it on 4th and 6? The defense needed to make a stop regardless. Rodgers would still have to drive down the field for a touchdown (for the tie) even if the 4th down wasn’t converted . If it was converted, all that was needed for a win was a defensive stop and a field goal. I don't care if it worked Wayne Larrivee, it was stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment